Lincoln College, Oxford
Hand tooled textured Clipsham Stone was used for the cladding of the new Arts Centre extension to the Garden Building at Lincoln College.
The stone was carefully selected at the quarry to ensure a good match to the original building and hand tooling was carried out in the workshop under the direction of the architect to give the cladding added interest.
Salvaged stone from the demolition work was carefully recorded, altered to suit the new cladding lines and incorporated into the new extension. An original decorative bullseye stone window was restored and installed inside the new extension as a wall feature to reference the old building in the contemporary design of the new building.
The Grade 2 listed 1905-06 Read and MacDonald façades were carefully cleaned and restored as part of the works including rebuilding many of the garden walls in coursed rubble walling stone on hydraulic lime mortars.
Crossland Hill Yorkstone was installed for the internal flooring including a feature staircase that followed seamlessly into the external paving and garden steps.